Crafts

My DIY Tool Chest Makeover Adventure

As some of you may have seen on my Instagram, I’ve been giving my dad’s old tool chest a glamour makeover. It’s been a long, and sometimes tedious, journey but I made it and I am very pleased with the results. Here are some pictures from start to finish. I hope it inspires you all to take on an intimidating project or upcycle something into your own gorgeous masterpiece!

In the very beginning, I was totally intimidated by this project. There are so many nooks and crannies on this thing and I had no clue how I was going to make it look good and, most importantly, neat. I definitely spent many moments just sitting on the ground staring at it and thinking, “How am I going to do this?!”. but as with most things, it’s best to take it one step at a time and take a break from working every few hours! Here is what I started with – a bumblebee colored dusty contraption. Who knew it would end up looking like a Moroccan printed dream 😉

IMG_0091 IMG_0092 IMG_0093

I actually had to vacuum some of the dust off – that’s how dusty it was! I got the rest with a wet rag. The next thing I wanted to do was block out all of the color with white paint so none of the yellow or black would show through. Doing this also made the colors I put on top much brighter as well. My initial plan was to spray paint it white but my can only lasted through the first coat. I am an impatient worker so instead of just running out and getting a new can, I said screw it and hand painted the second coat with acrylic paint. The first and second pictures were taken after the first spray-painted coat and the third is after the hand-painted coat.

IMG_0094 IMG_0095 IMG_0096

After the white was done, I started on the teal portions. This paint was very difficult to work with and still looked a little wonky after multiple coats. Once it was done, I started on the hardest and most tedious part of the job which was the Moroccan print. Although I would love to say I hand painted it, I have to give all the credit to a stencil. Even with that, I still had to go over the print about three times to get the coverage I was going for. Afterwards, I used a rag dipped in gold paint to get the sponged effect on the two drawers. I think it was a great touch versus just painting it solid gold.

IMG_0097 IMG_0098 IMG_0099

I wanted to add a darker color to the mix but nothing that would clash too much so I went with this beautiful midnight blue color which went on like a charm.

IMG_0100 IMG_0101

The final touches included fixing up the stenciled parts some more and spray painting any remaining areas gold. I feel like there is a chorus somewhere singing “Ahhh!” whenever I open the drawers. They’re so shiny and gold!

 IMG_0102 IMG_0103 IMG_0104

IMG_0105 IMG_0106

And there we have it! it’s been a month in the making and I will be very proud lugging this baby off to school in the Fall and letting it house my accessories and hair products!

Get Glamorously You in your inbox!
Beauty Picks. Pinnable Quotes. Exclusive Access to the Glamorously You Freebie Library. And MORE!
Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Email this to someonePrint this page
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like...

4 Comments

  • Reply thecraftymummyblog

    Oh wow!!! Loveeee it! You did fanatastic job on it!!

    July 27, 2015 at 5:04 pm
  • Reply avalentin574

    OMG! You did such a remarkable job, congrats on that transformation. Seriously great work

    July 30, 2015 at 3:31 pm
  • Reply Spring 2015 Dorm Room Tour

    […] My glam accessory tool chest that I worked on over the summer found its home! See more pictures of the transformation here. […]

    February 11, 2016 at 3:02 pm
  • Leave a Reply